Tuesday, June 5, 2012

First Blog Post

Currently I am not an ESL teacher, though I am licensed in that area, but rather a technology coach for Eagle Heights Spanish Immersion. My hope is that in 2013 I will transition to an ESL position in my district, Eden Prairie, preferably to an elementary ESL position. The demographic of ESL students in Eden Prairie is largely Somalian, though we have Latino students and some students from Southeast Asia, Asia and other African countries as well. The percentage of students needing ESL services varies from school to school, which I'm sure is true in most districts. Our schools to the east and north have the highest percentage of ESL students, while our schools in the south and west have the fewest. Right now I believe our elementary schools have anywhere from 2-4 full-time ESL teachers. And I believe that number continues to increase as the population in Eden Prairie ages and more immigrant families move in.

No comments:

Post a Comment